Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Pot Holders

Pot Holders are one of my favorite things to make. Because they are so small, they make for a super quick project. You can just keep churning them out and feel really productive :-) And they make great gifts, because they are both pretty and functional!

I inherited most of my stash from my Mother-In-Law, and it included a BUNCH of Christmas fabric. I don't do a lot of Christmas themed sewing, mainly because if I'm going to put a lot of effort into a project, I want it to be able to be used year round! But at the same time, I had so much nice Christmas fabric, I felt it needed to be used. So I decided my family would be getting Christmas Pot Holders in their stockings :-)

White Christmas


As soon as I saw it, I LOVED this snowy Christmas fabric (In fact, I love it so much, and I have enough left, that the rest may become an apron at some point in the future). It has a vintage feel to it, and it kind of reminds me of Christmas in a little town like the one where my Grandparents live in Ohio. I almost didn't use this fabric for pot holders, because, as I was going through my stash of Christmas fabric, I couldn't find a border fabric that worked with it. I could have bought some, but I wanted to work completely from my stash. It finally occurred to me that I might be able to find some non-Christmas fabric in my stash that would work. I pulled a few different greens out, and found one that was just right!

I kept the quilting on this pot holder fairly simple, because I did not want the quilting to detract from the simple serenity of the fabric. I simply stitched a grid pattern around the little squares on the fabric for a clean, simple look.

Oh Christmas Tree


For these pot holders, I decided to complement the Christmas trees on the fabric with a quilted Christmas tree pattern. The gold dots on the border fabric coordinate nicely with the gold stars on the Christmas trees.

Holly & Ornaments


It's too bad the quilting on these didn't photograph well, because it's the most intricate of all of them. It's two ornaments with a pair of holly leaves and berries next to them. There were lots of small circles, so my machine quilting skills got quite the workout with these pot holders!

Elves & Holly


I love this elf fabric! It's fun and festive, so I wanted to make sure that the quilting kept that feel. The stars just felt right. While fairly simple to quilt, I think these pot holders are the most fun of the set.

I had so much fun making these pot holders, I think they might become a Christmas tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment